Be organic… before Buy Organic
At Bio Basics, we strongly believe that it is important to BE ORGANIC before you BUY ORGANIC.
To “Be Organic” begins with us. We, as individuals, as members of our local community, as citizens of this country and as co-inhabitants of Planet Earth need to take the responsibility for the health of ourselves, our family our community, our farmers and all living beings on this blue planet.
- Understand that Safe Food that is Priority #1. Safe Food means food that no chemicals have been used in growing, processing, transportation, and storage
- Eat local and seasonal. Off-season food requires energy-intensive technologies like refrigeration and chemicals. Non-local food requires transportation from far, which increases “Food Miles” and again necessitates the use of technology and chemicals for preservation.
- We normally associate quality of food with looks, or absence of insects – or maybe an endorsement by a celebrity. But we miss the essential point – that quality = SAFETY first.
- Accept “ugly” foods. When we pick and choose vegetables and fruits at a grocery store, do we not reject those that have some deformity or a blemish? Rethink that.
- Understand that “bugs know best”. What we call “pests” is far more sensitive to the presence of chemicals that we are. So the presence of an occasional insect is probably a greater reassurance that exposure of the food to chemicals is less.
- Educate yourself. Read up more on the various issues involved. Watch documentaries. Today, we have all the information we need at the click of a button.
- Ensure the farmer is paid well. Ensuring that the farmer gets a fair price for this essential service he is providing us is a key to facilitate him to grow safe food for us. After all, why should he care about us if we don’t care about him?
- Care for Mother Nature, she will too for you. Protecting our Planet is the most fundamental of our responsibility today. It is an unfortunate ironic fact that Mother Nature needs protection from some of her own children!
- Start your Home Garden. A food garden in your balcony or backyard has benefits far beyond the meager food that you may grow there. Gardening is therapeutic – research shows that “soiling” our hands can uplift our mood, and can be an aid to battling depression.
- DEMAND SAFE FOOD!! Remember – Safe Food is your right, as much as is clean air and drinking water!
Bio Basics would like to act as a facilitator for you towards this end. On this page we will provide you links to the necessary ideas, resources, tools and possibilities.
Go ahead and explore! Get empowered! And share this knowledge and empowerment with all whom you care for.