Valiya Chennellu Red Unpolished (Raw)
Heirloom rice from Wayanad
Recommended for women’s health
Known for its healing properties
Valiya Chennellu is a red, bold variety of rice from Wayanad. It is a variation of Chennellu, which is rice given to patients recouping from jaundice. This delicious rice is normally made into kanji/porridge or powdered into flour and used to make tiffin items such as puttu, idiyappam, and ela ada.
Valiya Chennellu rice comes to us from an organic farming collective in Wayanad as raw unpolished rice with 100% bran. Tribal communities and indigenous healers in this region recommend this rice, particularly for women. Although no modern-day scientific evidence is available, there are anecdotal accounts of its healing properties for women-related health issues.
- Reduces edema or water retention in the body
- Regulates menstruation
- Increases breast milk
- Prevents cervical problems
- Once the plastic package is opened, transfer the rice to an airtight container and store it in a cool and dry place.
- To prevent bugs from contaminating the rice, add a few cloves, chili or bay leaves to the rice.
- You can also refrigerate long-stored rice to retain its properties and keep it fresh.
Since the rice contains 100% bran, it takes a slightly longer time to cook.
Soak the rice overnight.
Pressure cooker 1 cup rice: 4 cups water.
Cook on high flame for up to three whistles and on low flame for another two whistles.