Popular rice variety of Kerala
Single origin from a PGS-certified farm
Grown organically; No pesticides or chemicals used
Uma Parboiled Rice is a very popular variety of red rice that comes from a 30-acre, PGS-certified farm in Palakkad, Kerala. The rice is semi-polished, roundish and medium-sized. The red stripes on the rice show that half of the bran is removed during milling. Uma Parboiled Rice can be used for daily consumption along with South Indian curries. It is tasty, easy to cook and meets your daily fibre requirement. It is ideal for people who want to start their red rice journey. It is also popularly used in Kerala for making dosa batter.
Uma Rice is an old improved variety of rice developed by Kerala Agricultural University. The farmer from whom we source the rice, has been cultivating it for many years. The paddy is parboiled in the farm the old-fashioned way, using a huge vessel called chembu over a wood fire. It is then sun dried and sent to a nearby mill for milling every one or two months and supplied fresh to us. The rice quality and taste is consistent because we source it from a single farm.
- Good source of iron and calcium
- Has prebiotic that is good for gut health
- Safe choice for people with diabetes
- Once package is opened, transfer the rice to an airtight steel container and keep it away from moisture.
- If you plan to store it for a long time, add a few cloves, bay leaves or chillies to keep the rice free from infestation.
- If you find bugs in your long-stored rice, sun dry for an hour, shade dry for another two hours, clean the rice and put it back in the container along with some cloves, bay leaves or chillies. It will be good to use.
Pre-soak for two hours.
Pressure cooker: 1 cup rice : 3 cups water. Cook on high flame for 3 whistles. Lower the flame and cook for another 2 more whistles.